Sunday, November 10, 2013

LBD - Little Black Dress


One is never over-dressed or underdressed with a Little Black Dress.
—  Karl Lagerfeld

Every woman has one, some like me, lets just say have quite a few!

Whether it's short or long, fitted or loose, wrap or shirt, every woman has at least one Little Black Dress!

It 1926 American Vogue coined the enduring phrase, Little Black Dress, in honour of Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel's famous collection of black dresses.  Simple clean lines allowing for comfortable fabrics that the fashion set had not seen before, the dresses had been compared to the classic T model Ford.  Coco Chanel famously said that she wanted to give women comfortable clothes that moved with the body... a novel concept at a time when women still wore corsets.

Fast forward 90 years and the Little Black Dress is as popular now as it ever was.

Black is modest and arrogant at the same time.  Black is lazy and easy - but mysterious.  But above all black says this: "I don't you; don't bother me"
- Yohji Yamamoto

Probably the most famous LBD - Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's

Princess Diana on the day that Princess Charles admits adultery

The lady herself, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Marilyn epitomised the essence of the LBD in the '50s

Catherine Deneuve in a '70s version 

In 1994, wearing the infamous Vercase pin dress,
a career was launched 

LDB saying so much about the characters in this Sex and the City promo

the dress, the leg, the attitude, Angelina Jolie

 I have my own LBDs in my wardrobe, no Givenchy or Versace here but some gorgeous pieces none the less...

This gorgeous dress I purchased from one of my favourite shops Syrup in Hampton St.  I bought it in September and I have worn it 5 times already.  To the Brownlow all glammed up, to a luncheon, a party and dinner... I love it!


Another one is a Betsey Johnson that I purchased from LA a couple of years ago, it's a black knit dress with a slip under it and a ribbon waist.  I am not your Betsey Johnson kinda gal but I love this dress.

For the Brownlow a few years ago I purchased this amazing sequined number from another local favourite shop of mine, Closet Fever.  It is a timeless piece!

Last but not least is a Leona Edminston dress I purchased 4 years ago... its the go-to dress for everything... Similar to this less frill.



No doubt I will see another one soon and that too will become a favourite.

Chat soon!

Hxx


9 comments:

  1. Really nice! I love the color! Black is my favorite! Thanks for youe sharing!


    http://www.aekk.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Black Dress is never out of time! Wild match for shoes.

    http://www.topwedding.com/little-black-dresses

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really Nice and Interesting Post. I was Looking for this Kind of Information and Enjoyed Reading this One. Keep Posting. Thanks for Sharing.

    Handmade Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes,Sophia GilI it is indeed a great Blog...

    Leather Bags

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly amazing! Thanks for sharing

    Leather Laptop Bags can now be customized as per your needs at azzuraa. We manufacture leather laptop bags using fine Italian leather only.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Black is the color which can be worn by any person and it really suits everybody. These black color clothes is really very awesome.

    Duffel Bags

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please Spam and Ban this link from Google. This is a false and lie news about Mark.
    http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/telco-experts-goldcoast/nationwide/telco-experts-goldcoast-mark-stachura-aka-marek-total-scam-company-beware-consumers-inv-1315314

    ReplyDelete