Monday, April 2, 2012

My Personal Favourite Skincare Buys


When I was about 15 - 16 years old, my mother took me to Myer in the city and started me on a skincare routine.  My mother worked outdoors earlier in her life and she had sun damaged/dehydrated skin and she was so vigilant about me protecting my skin and having a regular skin care routine.

I was lucky I didn't really suffer from your normal teenage skin issues, so apart from the occasional break-out I have had normal skin to date and I must say that I credit that early training that my mother instilled in me.

I have outlined below my personal skin-care routine and what works for me.  I can't say that they will work for everyone but these are my personal favourites at the moment and I must say I am very happy with the result!

CLEANSE/EXFOLIATE

I always cleanse my face in the morning in the shower.  The product that I love and would be on top of my must have list is Clarins One-Step Exfoliating Cleanser.  Apart from cleansing this product also exfoliates, detoxifies and tones all at once.  One of my favourite things about this product is that is leaves your skin looking clean, clear, smooth and brighter.  It saves me so much time every day.

So while I leave my conditioner in my hair for a few minute I use about a 10 cent piece of this cleanser on my fingertips and gently rotate the super-fine granules gently around my face.  I never put it around my eyes and focus on areas where I am prone to dry skin, like around my nose.  I finish it off with just putting my face under the shower.

My next step, when I come out of the shower, is to remove any residual eye make-up again with the Clarins Gentle Eye Make-up Remover.  Another must have product in my bathroom cabinet.  I try to make sure that I remove my eye make-up at night but inevitably there is always that little bit left over.  This product is non-greasy, great for people like me that have sensitivity with my eyes and also for those with contact lenses.


For my night cleanser, there are several I like but my favourite would have to be Philosophy's Purity Cleanser, amazing with taking off make-up.  Again a one-step cleanser toner, it melts away make-up and impurities. I find that it works better when your skin is moist and I find if I put a face washer with warm water on my face it actually "loosens up" the make-up and it comes off easier.  I generally use a cotton pad which I put the cleanser on, wipe across my face, I then use a face washer to wipe away any excess.  In saying that, there have been nights that I only use face wipes and also that my pillow has been my make-up remover... but we won't take about that!


EYE CREME

My "desert island" item, I can't live without it!  I LOVE MY EYE CREME! I have two favourites and based on my economy is what I have my bathroom cabinet.  To apply eye cream correctly you put a tiny amount on your ring fingers and work it around your eye socket.  You gently work from your inner eye and press firmly to help reduce puffiness.  With eye creams a little goes a long long way!

Dream Product
La Prairie - Cellular Revitalising Eye Gel - Quite exy but believe me it works a treat! It has a cooling, soothing formula that help with fine lines, puffiness, dark circles.  The Rolls Royce of Eye Cremes for me!


Everyday Product
Chanel Ultra-Correction Line Repair - Again works on my problem areas of puffiness, fine lines and dark circles.  very hydrating.


Whatever product I have on hand, I need to have an eye creme otherwise it real shows on my eyes.

MOISTURISER

My moisturising process is two-step, serum then moisturiser.

When using a serum, you don't go through moisturisers as quickly.  The benefits of a good serum is longer lasting hydration as it helps your moisturiser penetrate deeper into the 3 layers of the skin.  There are various serums with specific benefits but due to my skin type, dehydrated, and age, I use a hydrating serum and again based on my financials at the time I like 2 different brands

Dream Product
La Prairie Cellular Hydrating Serum - Intense deep hydration, will keep your skin hydrated all day long, also visibly reduces fine lines and wrinkle!


Everyday Product
Clarins Thirst Quenching Hydrating Serum - This keeps skin soft and hydrated, not as intensive as the La Prairie Serum but all the same, it helps the moisturising process.


I use two different moisturisers, one for spring/summer/autumn and one for winter

SUMMER
Chanel Hydramax + Active Gel Creme - Not as light as a gel but not as heavy as a creme, its texture is light, smooth, penetrating the skin and leaves it amazingly soft without not greasy residue.  You can be economically with it as it goes a long way!



WINTER
Philosophy's Hope in a Jar - I really like the Philosophy range of products, and this is a favourite, little weight, smooth a little richer than Chanel but perfect for my skin in winter!


I also strongly recommend you use a good face sun protection.  I generally react to having sunblock in my moisturiser but I use a tinted moisturiser with SPF.

I am so glad that my mum instilled a good skin care routine for me from a young age, I appreciate the importance of being good to your skin, you see we only have one skin, we can't abuse it!

Chat soon!

Hxx

No comments:

Post a Comment