Thursday, March 22, 2012

Bedroom


My bedroom is my sanctuary... for me it's more then just a place to sleep in!  I have my books, magazines, candles, journals right by my bedside.  I am also very lucky to have my own little sitting room in my bedroom with my comfy daybed/large couch and there I have my laptop, camera, tv, dvd, and my personal collection of my favourite chick flicks.  It's my little corner of relaxion, where I read, relax, indulge!



The colour palette is linen and white.  I have a passion for white white, it is so fresh and clean, that works with every other colour and background.  A beautifully covered and laundered bed is vital to me.  Apart from looking good, it is extremely important to keep your linen and bedding clean to protect you from germs.  Our pillowcases and sheets are a magnetic for dead skin, oils, make-up and dirt so it is imperative that we keep them clean.


Here is an interested article from Martha Stewart on when and how to wash your linen:


Sheets



Wash

Regular care: How often you wash your sheets is a personal preference. In general, it's a good idea to launder them weekly to remove dirt and dust. Use warm water rather than hot, which can shrink fibers, and wash printed and colored pillowcases inside out to protect the color. If your sheets feature delicate trim, check the care label before washing. 
Stains and spots: When dealing with tough stains, use oxygenated bleach on whites and light colors (chlorine bleach is too harsh for most linens). Cosmetics and face lotions are a common cause of discoloration. Many skin products contain oxidizing agents that actually can bleach sheets. If you are concerned about these spots, choose white linens or consider purchasing an extra set of pillowcases when you buy sheets.


Dry

Tumble dry sheets according to label instructions, and remove them before they're fully dry to help minimize wrinkles. To avoid mildew growth, make sure sheets are dry before storing them. If you have the time, ironing your sheets is a surefire way to make them feel new again.
Cover

To protect pillows, encase them in pillow protectors (zippered covers that go under the cases). These covers keep allergens at bay while shielding pillows from hair and body oils, which can soak into the filling.
Wash
Even with protectors, pillows should be washed at least twice a year; the covers, once a month (along with your mattress cover). Most down and synthetic pillows are machine washable (check the care label). Use mild liquid detergent rather than powder, which may leave a residue. Launder pillows in pairs to keep your machine balanced. Run them through the rinse cycle twice the second time without detergent, to ensure they're rinsed fully.

  
Dry and Fluffy
In the dryer: For down and feathers: Use the air cycle or low-heat setting, and make sure pillows are completely dry. There shouldn't be any bunches of feathers -- since dampness left in the pillow may cause mold. High heat can encourage clumping in polyester-filled pillows, so dry them on low heat. Your dryer will refluff pillows nicely, especially if you throw in a couple of unused tennis balls (wrapped in clean white socks, to prevent dyes from transferring).

I hope the above information is both helpful and inspiring... 
Chat soon!
Hxx

No comments:

Post a Comment